Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Alabama is more than deserving of the No.1 spot in the nation

Wow, is all I can say about Alabama. I must say that I actually thought Greg McElroy would be the Achilles heel of this team. However, I’m wrong about that. McElroy might be the most efficient passer of the SEC, forget about Ryan Mallett and John Brantley and Cam Newton. They can put up those gaudy numbers, but McElroy will spread the ball around to his receivers and he as the best running back tandem in Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. Against Penn State, McElroy stood tall in the pocket, checked down to his 1st and 2nd receivers and let the ball fly or broke the pocket for a run. He is more confident in his second year with his playmakers. The only problem might be the young secondary, but with good coaching they might not be that vulnerable as everyone thinks. During the offseason, I was adamant that the Crimson Tide could not repeat as national title winners, but it is looking to me that they have the best shot out of anyone to reach the title game and win. Before I drink their Kool-Aid, I will let them take a bite of their conference pie, first. However, the way things are now, they will be a dominant force in the Southeastern Conference. September 25th @Arkansas and October 9th @South Carolina will be pivotal games. If Alabama beats both teams then they will play for the national title, no bones about it. I can realistically see a rematch for the SEC title game between the Crimson Tide and South Carolina, unless the Gamecocks implode down the stretch and Florida sneaks in through the back door. I’m starting to believe that Florida has legit problems on offense and with Chris Rainey being dismissed from the team, they could be in trouble. In my mind, Alabama is a more complete team than last season, and they are serving notice to everyone in the nation that they are going back to Glendale to take another crystal trophy home with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment